0 In Beauty

Killing you softly

Umm Natural ¦ Killing you softly

Have you ever wondered what you’re putting on your hair/head? It can be quite frightening once you dwell into the logistics of toxic ingredients. Well the mother of all toxins is found in our everyday shampoo;

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) / Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)

SLS and SLES are both sulphuric acids and cannot be metabolised by the liver. For all us natural fans, we know how important the liver is in, breaking down toxins that are potentially carcinogenic and harmful to our health. SLS is the main ingredient used in shampoos and is well-known to cause irritation, swelling and fuzzy or tangled hair.

The crazy thing is; SLS is normally found at car washes, and is used to degrease car engines! In the same way that it dissolves grease agents, SLS also dissolves the oils in our skin. It is also well known to break down skin proteins, which cause not only irritation, but allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower sensitive layers of the skin.

You can read more here.
 Other problems SLS can cause (but not limited to) are;
  • Hormonal Imbalance
  • Cancer
  • Tumours
  • Organ toxicity
  • Reproductive toxicity

Scary right?

Our skin is a barrier to toxins, however it is not impermeable. It has been suggested that the skin absorbs around 64% of chlorine found in our water supply. So we need to be extra careful with the ingredients that we put on our skin and in our bodies.

A great alternative to commercial shampoos are soap nuts, homemade soap bars or castile soap. I have used all three and the best for me has been soap nuts. I’ll be sharing a recipe with you soon so watch this space.

 

What shampoos do you use? Comment below

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply